Thursday, February 6, 2014

Food! I eat for free in this college cafeteria; the food is surprisingly good and for the most part, healthy. It’s not like cafeterias in the States when you have 20 options, but instead there are three choices of a main course, then six sides to choose from including a whole loaf of bread. I’m not kidding; every person gets a huge piece of bread. 

 it’s crazy but no one drinks anything when they eat.   Oscar, my roommate, and I always ask for “voda” which is water. They do not offer tons of soft drinks and juices. Last night we had pork chops,  French fries and of course, bread. It was one of the best pork chops I’ve had in a long time. The best part about it all, is that we get so much and it’s all free.  

In town they have a ton of other places that we can eat at. We have to pay for these meals but as I said before, everything is so cheap, and delicious. We don’t have fast food in our town at all. I’m actually thankful for that because I can enjoy new food and drinks from this culture that I haven’t had before. Don’t get me wrong, there is a McDonald’s 20 miles away that I’m sure we will crave enough at some take the bus for a Big Mac. 

One of my most favorite restaurants (so far) is called “The French Guy;” the food is always so fresh and the owner is always so pleasant and happy to see us. For my first meal, I had this piece of hamburger that had fresh onions packed in it with fries, cabbage, and a stuffed red pepper.  This was the best meal I have had so far, and it only cost about $3.00.  


As most people know, pizza is vice. So naturally I wanted to find the local pizza place and see what it tasted like. The most common pizza in Serbia isn’t like America’s.  Instead of pepperoni and cheese, in Serbia, the typical pizza is bologna, cheese, and mushrooms.  It was very good and it’s not dripping with grease because it’s not loaded down with cheese. Nevertheless, it was about $1.00 and tasted like home. Needless to say, I’ll definitely go back!

They have only 1 big grocery store here in Serbia. Everything else is small markets with everything that you would need. That’s where we have been going.   

They also have a bunch of little side stores that are outside all year long. 

On a lot of street corners and windows of retail stores they have posters and pictures of female models. They do not look like American models. They look healthy. You can’t see hip bones or plastic surgery, mostly because they can’t afford it.

Once we get more into the season, I will be able to post more football related things.  it’s just so cold outside that we can only practice in the gym at night for a few hours. Once this snow melts we will be in great shape! Go bears! 

Fishstrong!
Trever

No comments:

Post a Comment